From a humble beginning of twenty-two students in rented premises, it has grown into one large formidable institution of learning whose name reverberates in both national and international circles, for beyond the wildest dreams and visions of the founding fathers.
It all started on the 27th February, 1953 when some prominent personalities were commissioned to start a day institution that would serve as a catchment school for the host of elementary schools scattered all over the area of Keta. It was, therefore, on this fateful day that the school started with Mr. Nathan Quao as its founding Headmaster, in a rented house just opposite the premises of the present Electricity Company, Dzelukope, Keta in the Volta Region of Ghana.
Approval for the new school came when Mr. J.W. Abruquah was the Headmaster of the school and Mr. C. H. Chapman was the Regional Commissioner for the Volta Region and a member of the school's Board of Governors. Under pressure from the governing board, the Government decided to hand over the management of the school to the Ghana Education Trust. Before then, the then chairman of the Board, Rev. Dr. F.K. Fiawoo had remarked that, he would not accept "a meager sum for the construction of a hut" for the school when the school was voted an amount regarded by many as a mere pittance, in view of existing price levels, for the construction of the school building at the new site. After some negotiations, the Ghana Education Trust established by the Nkrumah Government took over the construction of the building. The wind of change and general excitement that greeted Ghana's attainment of the republican status in 1960 was not restricted to the streets of Accra alone. Its echoes reverberated far, even to Keta, and precisely to a site, which would later become KETA SECONDARY SCHOOL.
On November 4th, 1960, Mr. K.A. Gbedema, the then Minister of Finance, visited the present site and laid the foundation stone for the building of some classroom blocks. As a follow-up to that visit, the President of the Republic, the great Dr. Kwame Nkrumah himself honored the school with a visit on 21st December, 1960 during which he planted a tree which stands as a historical monument and provides a comforting shed near the present Assistant Headmaster's bungalow.
Senior Classroom Block
The initial foundation laying ceremony bore fruits just a year
later when a group of students in Form Two and Four moved from the old site to the
present site on 11th September 1961. The site accommodated one classroom block,
an administration block, an assembly hall and a science laboratory. The rest of
the students followed a year later.
Administration BlockMr. R. E. K. Matanawui, the then Assistant Headmaster mooted the idea of establishing a hostel after having realised that a group of students, who had travelled from far-off places to the school in pursuit of the golden fleece of knowledge, had no place to lay their heads. The school was then a day school. The students sought refuge in the dining hall which was the only building partially vacant.
City Boys Dormitory
1. Mr. Nathan Quao 1953 - 1956
2. Mr. J. W. Abruquah 1957 - 1963
3. Mr. R. E. K. Matanawui 1963 - 1970
4. Mr. F.Y. Amuzu 1970 - 1983
5. Mr. C. K. Mensah 1983 - 1984
6. Mr J. A. K. Kaleku 1984 - 19887. Mr. C. K. Mensah 1988 -1990
8. Mr J.Y. Deku 1990 - 2005
9. Mr. D. O. Gbagbo 2005 - 2007
10. Mr. D. K. Sedanu-Kwawu 2007 - Present